Sunday 30 August 2009

other's comments....

Well done, Bruce. For myself, I'm pretty aware of STR...but a lot of people are not and there's no harm in raising awareness, even though it can be alarming.

In my case, it was a blurring in my right eye that would not go away and then thinking the side of my face was going wobbly... which soon passed. If I had not known and seen stroke victims with that droop on one side of the face, then I'd have just shrugged off this odd feeling. Instead I went into A&E ... by which time all symptoms had gone and I was on the point of being told to go home and take it easy except that the doctor decided to put his stethoscope to my neck and heard a bruit on one side (a rushing noise instead of a smooth pulsing).. this was a classic symptom of a clogged artery. And it's the stuff the arteries get clogged with that can drift off and end up blocking the plumbing in the brain and cause strokes ...from minor "odd feeling" ones to major and fatal insults to the brain.

Think I've said enough. Bulletin 2, if anyone wants it, is an account of the operation to open up the artery. Something tells me there needs to be website called Wikichondria.

No comments: